The following documentation has been provided to us from our farm source in Australia. Earth to Body sells emu oil cosmetically only but the following documentation is sent to Health Companies around the world and therefore includes the therapeutic uses and benefits.
The Australian emu oil is classified as a "polished render" finish. This is a rendering process performed in a Government approved and regularly audited facility.
Basically this process removes all solids and proteins (including bacteria if any) at temperatures of 60-70ºC. The final filtering process is through a 0.5 micron natural fibre filter media , producing an emu oil that complies with the strict standards set by the Therapeutic Goods Authority of Australia. (FDA equivalent). Samples of this oil are forwarded to a laboratory as part of the process, where it is tested for any residual contaminants such as e-coli, salmonellae, pesticides etc. This render process has been scientifically proven to keep the biological active components intact. Most refining and/or distillation processes completely destroy these active components. Australian emu oil rendered in our facilities, under the Government control and supervision is completely save to use as a topical or oral product.
WHY AUSTRALIAN EMU OIL
Australian Emu oil is composed of more than 95% triacylglycerols, plus acylglycerols and free fatty acids, along with trace compounds (less than 0.1%) that are responsible for the biological activity of the oil. If you separate the trace compounds from the oil and test them individually, they would not show any activity. The biological activity is found to be effect of a group of chemicals. Stability of the oil is affected by parameters such as exposure to daylight, atmospheric oxygen, high temperature and presence of certain living organisms in the oil. Oil must be protected from daylight in metal or dark glass containers, from oxygen by keeping it under nitrogen or argon gas, and from living organisms by pasteurising. The less the oil is processed, the more the biological activity would be preserved. Only necessary protective processes are performed on emu oil here in Australia, including filtration (using natural cellulose fibres) and a precisely controlled heating to stop the growth of living organisms in emu oil. The heating is performed at the lowest possible temperature using a precisely controlled timing.
The following is a brief introduction on emu oil benefits and applications.
Benefits of emu oil:
* Emu oil has potent anti-inflammatory properties due to its fatty acid composition (rich in omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids).
* Emu oil easily penetrates the stratum corneum barrier (the outer layer of the skin). Oleic acid is the major fatty acid in emu oil which is a recognised enhancer of dermal penetration.
* When applied externally or taken orally, emu oil provides essential fatty acids which are not produced by the human body and are a necessary requirement for a healthy body.
* Research has shown that emu oil increases the rate of proliferation of fibroblasts, the main skin cells in tissue culture; therefore, emu oil can promote the regeneration of the skin tissue, and is a potent medication choice in skin burns.
* Emu oil is high in vitamins A, E & F and is rich in natural preservatives such as phenolic compounds.
* Emu oil has been shown to be hypo-allergenic, therefore, ideal for chronic skin conditions and sensitive skin types.
* Emu oil is one of the most highly skin moisturising applications available.
Emu oil applications:
* Provides relief from muscular aches and pains, bruising, sprains and strains.
* Reduces irritation and inflammation to skin conditions, diseases and disorders and is extremely beneficial in assisting in the treatment of dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis. (Preliminary trials by the Flinders Medical Centre have indicated the efficacy of emu oil in the treatment of dermatitis).
* Emu oil can help prevent scarring to new wounds and reduce old scars.
* A number of burns units throughout the world have shown that when applied topically, Emu oil reduces pain, while healing is much faster with less scarring.
* When regularly applied, Emu iil can aid in reducing stretch marks.
Clinical trials have shown that Emu Oil:
* Reduces joint pain, swelling and stiffness, and has been shown to be highly beneficial to arthritis sufferers.
* Moderates the immune system and is effective in controlling asthma and auto-immune diseases such as psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
* Accelerates the healing of burns with fewer scars.
* Is rich in omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids.
* Reduces itching and pain associated with insect bites.